Task to Complete

Create a program that uses a single perceptron to find a line to separate two “half-moons” of randomly generated data (see image).


April 11th, 2017

  • I spent this class reading through and understanding the graphics code Dr. Delgado provided.  I made some minor modifications to certain parts to suit my personal programming style and habits.

April 13th, 2017

  • I copied over the Perceptron and Trainer classes from the previous Double Moon project.
  • I wrote the method to generate the test data by, for each number, putting it on one of the digit panels, adding noise, and saving the digit array.  I decided to store this data in a .csv file format because this made it easy to read from and write to.
  • I also began writing the training method.  I completed the part of the method for reading in from the .csv file.

April 17th, 2017

  • Today I finished up the training method.  The rest of the code was relatively simple because the Perceptron and Trainer classes were already written and work.
  • I also wrote the classify method, which tests each of the ten perceptrons (one for every digit) until the digit matches one of them.
  • At this point, the basics of the program are pretty much complete.

April 19th, 2017

  • I spent this class adding some more features to the program.
  • For example, I allowed the user to manually add noise and change the input through using the mouse to click on the grid.
  • I also enlarged the grid from 5×7 to a 9×11.  Changing the code for this was relatively simple.  However, rewriting the hard-coded digit arrays was extremely tedious and took up most of the time.
  • I also experimented with translation of the digits.  I wrote a method to translate a digit array left or write; I then modified the generate method to also store these translated arrays (with noise added) as training data.  However, I found that it is extremely difficult for a single perceptron to classify such a non-linear training set, and on the contrary, it had a negative effect on the ability of the perceptron to discern regular non-translated digits.  Hence, I abandoned this idea and reverted the code back to its original state.
Advertisements